foldable flexible bridges (putting foldable+traversable in prelude) Re: Burning bridges

wren ng thornton wren at freegeek.org
Wed May 29 07:56:03 CEST 2013

On 5/27/13 9:24 PM, Manuel M T Chakravarty wrote:
> As far as beginners and teaching goes, why don't we have two Preludes?
>
> (1) The real (and somewhat scary) Prelude
> (2) A stripped down, less flexible, but easier to comprehend Prelude
>
> The DrRacket (ex DrScheme) people have language levels. We could have
library levels.

I'm generally a fan, though again I suggest a tripartite version:

(1) The real (and somewhat scary) Prelude required by circularity of the
language--- which is kept as minimal as possible, in order to reduce the
problems of tight coupling between language and libraries.

(2) The "real Prelude" (also somewhat scary) which has all the bells and
whistles veteran Haskellers expect, but which can be altered or removed
without severe repercussions for the entire ecosystem.

(3) A stripped down, less flexible, but easier to comprehend "simple
Prelude".

--
Live well,
~wren