Making decisions

Ryan Newton rrnewton at gmail.com
Sat May 25 16:19:42 CEST 2013

What was the sample size on the 85% vote?  Is there a website for keeping
track of these persistently?

Personally I think a persistent, open poll has a higher chance of capturing
a wide participation.  Short fuse votes will exacerbate sampling bias.

I'm a refugee from Scheme-istan.  Most important to me are not the specific
technical outcomes, but that a sense of community cohesiveness survives,
avoiding, for example the post-R6RS affair (divergent R7Rs, Racket split).

Not that that could happen easily with Haskell. Thank goodness for a single
dominant implementation ;). To you, GHC!

On Saturday, May 25, 2013, Ian Lynagh wrote:

> > responsible for maintenance, can make decisions, but is still bound
> > by the votes on library proposals.
>
> Just to clarify the current libraries process:
>
> A few people have used the word "vote", but we don't vote on library
> proposals. If we wanted to change that then we would first need to
> answer the question of who was elligible to vote.
>
> There is some clarification on this in
>     http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Library_submissions
> For example:
>
>     Proposals that have widespread support, and are accompanied by
>     patches (preferably with tests and documentation), should normally
>     be accepted by the maintainer.
>
>     It is up to the maintainer to decide what "widespread" means; in
>     particular, it does not always mean "a majority of those who
>     responded". The majority-responder story is vulnerable to selection
>     bias; e.g. 7 people (out of a client base of hundreds) say "add this
>     function" but the maintainer thinks it will make the interface
>     incrementally more complicated without sufficient benefit.
>
> and:
>
>     The maintainer still has ultimate say in what changes are made, but
>     the community should have the opportunity to comment on changes.
>     However, unanimity (or even a majority) is not required.
>

> Thanks
> Ian
> --
> Ian Lynagh, Haskell Consultant