Making decisions

Heinrich Apfelmus apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Sat May 25 15:36:09 CEST 2013

Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:
> I wasn't suggesting arbitrary decisions ignoring opinions.  On
> reflection "Tsar" carries the wrong connotations.  How about "Core
> libraries facilitating group"?   Or something less dull-sounding, but
> with the same sense.   I like democracy as much as the next person.
> But someone has to drive the process or it wanders into the long
> grass.

How about the name "Secretary of Libraries"?

In many countries, the Secretary of State is a head of civil servants
and appointed by a minister. It serves as a bridge between political
positions and civil servants. (Not in the UK, though, where the position
is equivalent to minister.)

This name would capture the idea that a "Secretary of Libraries" is
responsible for maintenance, can make decisions, but is still bound by
the votes on library proposals.

Best regards,
Heinrich Apfelmus

PS: This is beginning to sound like a constitution of Haskellland. But
hey, we have to organize some bits.

--
http://apfelmus.nfshost.com