PolyKinds, Control.Category and GHC 7.6.1

Austin Seipp aseipp at pobox.com
Thu May 16 18:00:17 CEST 2013

I presume people are still interested in this. I actually just ran
into Category's non poly-kinded-ness the other day (while attempting
to make a Category instance for promoted pairs) and found this email
in my history.

Can we schedule this for 7.8.1? There's -plenty- of time, and the
addendum to Control.Category that Edward posted originally is pretty
much all that is needed. If that sounds OK, I can post a patch for
review or commit it directly to base.

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 6:14 AM, Simon Peyton-Jones
<simonpj at microsoft.com> wrote:
> | FWIW PolyKinds in 7.4 is rough, and I had experiences where enabling it
> | led to compile failures in downstream modules, so this wouldn't
> | necessarily have been painless. Hopefully with 7.6 it will be.
>
> PolyKinds is not an advertised feature of 7.4, so you should absolutely not rely on it working in 7.4.  But it IS an advertised feature for 7.6 and should work flawlessly.  (If not, yell.)
>
> Simon

Regards,
Austin - PGP: 4096R/0x91384671