Proposal: Slim base-5 API package

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Mon Jul 15 22:53:40 CEST 2013

Hi,

Am Montag, den 15.07.2013, 18:22 +0200 schrieb Henning Thielemann:
> How is your proposal related to your SplitBase effort:
>     http://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/SplitBase

I wouldn’t call it “my” effort;  I was just joining an existing
discussion and tried to add more concrete data points to it.

The relation is that a base-5 api package would help us achieve Goal 1
(fewer version bumps), Goal 4, Goal 5, and help a bit with Goal 3 (as
defined on the wiki page).

It does not directly help with Goal 2, but it set a precedent and maybe
make a, say, base-pure API package which re-exports only non-IO modules
more likely to be used. Also the mentioned extension to the GHC package
system (module re-exports) helps in that way.

Or put differently: Instead of deciding between the two approaches
listes on the wiki page, we use approach (A) to make (B) possible.

Am Montag, den 15.07.2013, 19:07 +0200 schrieb Henning Thielemann:
If you want to make your package
> available for more compilers you have to provide a different Build-Depends
> list for every compiler you want to support. It would be cool to have
> packages that are warrantedly free of IO, in order to run them in
> environments where no IO is allowed (e.g. a web-server running submitted
> Haskell code). (The only objection I have, is to call a package without IO
> "pure-base", because IO is also purely functional in Haskell.)

precisely. The base package that this proposal talks about does not do
that, but it shows the way, and the introduction for a base-“pure” would
then be easily possible and non-intrusive (besides the question of where
the Prelude lives, but lets keep that discussion separate).

Do you have a suggestion for a better name than pure-base?
pure-unreal-world, as there is no notion of the RealWorld# state
token ;-)?

Greetings,
Joachim

--