Proposal: splitting the network package

Thomas Schilling nominolo at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 31 11:16:18 CET 2013

On 31 January 2013 09:41, Kazu Yamamoto <kazu at iij.ad.jp> wrote:
> - Register the "network-uri" package which includes Network.URI to
>   Hackage.
> - Put the DEPRECATED pragma to Network.URI of "network", suggesting
>   usage of "network-uri". And upload "network" to Hackage.

I don't think this would work. If "network" still contains a module
Network.URI and a package adds a dependency on "network-uri" which
also exports a module Network.URI, then you would have to specify the
package name in your import, i.e.:

  import "network-uri" Network.URI

Then, once Network.URI is removed from "network", users have to edit
their sources again to remove the explicit package import. I think the
only reasonable way to handle things is to use flags in a .cabal file,
i.e., the same way we had to deal with base-3 => base-4 transition
(which was very annoying).