Proposal: splitting the network package

Kazu Yamamoto ( 山本和彦 ) kazu at iij.ad.jp
Thu Jan 31 10:41:01 CET 2013

Hi,

>   * the URI stuff can and should be moved out of network, but to be done
>     properly it would need to get a deprecation warning for at least one
>     platform cycle. There's been a lot of this breakage-without-warning in the
>     core libraries lately -- directory-1.2 freshest in my mind -- which IMO we
>     should stop and try not to tolerate in the future.

How about this plan?

Right now:

- Register the "network-uri" package which includes Network.URI to
  Hackage.
- Put the DEPRECATED pragma to Network.URI of "network", suggesting
  usage of "network-uri". And upload "network" to Hackage.
- Ask the authors of "HTTP" and "cgi" to use network-uri
- Ask the HP maintainers to include new "network", "network-uri",
  "HTTP" and "cgi".

After the next HP is released:
- Remove Network.URI from "network" and upload to Hackage.
- Ask the HP maintainers to include new "network"

Anytime:
- Add fast URI modules such as Network.URI to "network-uri" if
  necessary.

--Kazu