Haskell Platform proposal: Add case-insensitive and Haskell 98/2010 compliance

Mark Lentczner mark.lentczner at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 17:21:32 CET 2013

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 9:43 AM, Gregory Collins <greg at gregorycollins.net>wrote:

> The bytestring instances are what it's most often used for! The haddocks
> warn about this issue. And: yes, we do want an ASCII case fold. If we
> didn't, we'd be using Text.

Note: case-insensitive provides ASCII case folding when used on ByteString.
However, HTTP headers are in ISO-8859-1. Hence, using this for case folding
HTTP headers isn't technically correct: It will fail for headers and other
case-insensitive tokens with ISO-8859-1 accented characters., though
admittedly in practice one doesn't see them.

That bit of pedantry out of the way....

... let's do this!

I'd like to see the haddock for the ByteString cases better expanded. I'll
suggest some alternate language later this weekend.

- Mark