Haskell Platform proposal: Add case-insensitive and Haskell 98/2010 compliance

Gregory Collins greg at gregorycollins.net
Mon Jan 14 18:43:12 CET 2013

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 11:29 AM, Ben Millwood <bm380 at srcf.net> wrote:

> This is easily fixed, although may be controversial: remove the ByteString
> instances.

The bytestring instances are what it's most often used for! The haddocks
warn about this issue. And: yes, we do want an ASCII case fold. If we
didn't, we'd be using Text. I've seen an Ascii newtype proposed (so that
you have to work extra hard to have the obvious semantics), but IMO nerfing
this particular library to make it harder for people to make beginner
unicode mistakes is silly. They'll find a way to make them anyways.

One thing the haddocks could maybe do better is to have a bigger, louder,
and more informative disclaimer about the issue that points users towards
the "modern default": use text, and encode/decode as UTF-8.

Gregory Collins <greg at gregorycollins.net>