Haskell Platform proposal: Add case-insensitive and Haskell 98/2010 compliance

Ben Millwood haskell at benmachine.co.uk
Mon Jan 14 17:31:38 CET 2013

I think that the Haskell Platform should respond to genuine, rather than
theoretical, demand for portability. At the moment it looks like
portability is work that no-one would actually benefit from.

I don't think other compilers are not forthcoming because GHC dominates
the ecosystem. I think GHC dominates the ecosystem because other
compilers are not forthcoming. If people who are really developing an
alternative compiler come forward and say, "I would like this package
to work with my compiler", I say that's worth listening to. If we only
hear theorising about the existence of such people, I don't think we
should lose any sleep over it.

So, Henning, you are the only person so far who has presented a possible
concrete need:

On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 01:42:56PM +0100, Henning Thielemann wrote:
>I also speak in a self-interest: We are developing a kind of Haskell
>interpreter for the live-sequencer:
>   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXywCHR9WwE
>
>We are far from a complete Haskell 98 implementation and I am not
>keen on implementing extensions that are not really needed and it
>seems that the Haskell prime committee also does not have time for
>it.
>
>So even if not all packages in the platform are Haskell 2010, I would
>prefer that case-insensitive is Haskell 2010 for better portability,
>like the split package was successfully converted to Haskell 2010 for
>inclusion in the platform.

really a goal for your live-sequencer? Would the live-sequencer benefit
particularly from use of the case-insensitive package? Would making the
case-insensitive package Haskell2010 enable it to work with your
interpreter immediately?

If the answer to any of those questions are no, I think portability work
now is premature. If the real demand arises, we can always make the
alterations necessary in a future version.

---

That all said, I do have my own concerns with case-insensitive.
Particularly, it provides an instance FoldCase ByteString, implicitly
treating ByteStrings as text, which I believe should be discouraged.

This is easily fixed, although may be controversial: remove the
ByteString instances. This would perhaps be slightly less painful if
there was something along the lines of:

       mkWith :: (s -> s) -> s -> CI s
       mkWith fc s = CI s (fc s)

so that people insistent on using ByteString would be able to do so
without risking orphan instances. However, the existence of the above
function allows "unsafe" use, comparing values constructed with
incompatible case-folding functions, which is probably a bad idea –
perhaps ByteString people should stick to newtypes instead.