The bytestring package has moved to github

Edward A Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 22:36:26 CET 2013

+1

I don't like git, but it -can- do everything I need and the existing community around it is enormous.

Saying we can compete with some spit polish on hub.darcs.net is analogous to all the companies that try to compete with facebook with a "social" makeover of their site.

You can't reclaim the marketshare when its slipped this far away from you.  All you are doing is throwing good effort after bad.

I treat any package I see with a darcs repo listed as effectively unmaintained.

This is a prejudicial judgement and it is unfair to those who do maintain their packages, but I'm not the only one, an it isn't a view entirely without merit.

I have to use git, I have to maintain a github account to tweak lots of things in other ecosystems, so I need to know how to do all the fiddly git operations anyways.

I used to enjoy using darcs, but that isn't enough for me to keep paged in enough of an operational understanding of it, set up another account and get around to contributing to a project on a darcs hosting site.

Add to that the sheer number of job offers and consulting opportunities that arise from people who see my work on github, and it becomes a actively detrimental to me to split my presence between the one where everyone is and some haskell backwater.

-Edward