portable encoding/decoding without going via a handle

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh at earth.li
Wed Nov 28 07:54:52 CET 2012

On 25/11/2012 10:51, Herbert Valerio Riedel wrote:

> btw, looking at the GHC.IO.Encoding.* modules, it seems to me that that
> 'mkTextEncoding'[1] only supports utf8/16/32 in a system independent
> fashion:
>
> ...so does using GHC.Encoding.* actually provide you with more encodings
> than using the other options ('text' et al.) you mentioned? which text
> encodings beyond the UTF-family do you need btw?

I actually only need ones that exist on the current platform because
they're currently in use as GHC's encodings when reading from the
filesystem/console.

In theory I think the need to do the transcoding could be avoided by
just setting those encodings to the right values in the first place, but
in practice it's hard to do that as a purely local change.

Cheers,

Ganesh