Proposal: Add (&) to Data.Function

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 20:47:51 CET 2012

At this point, it appears we've come to an impasse.

If you just run through the rather enormous thread that has erupted and
just counted the votes (&) has a slight lead over not including it -- it is
up 4.2 votes at my last rough count. The other colors of the bikeshed are
all well into the negatives, see the table below.

That said, the libraries process is focused on reaching "broad consensus",
not just counting up and down votes, and it is clear, even just a week in,
with 25 people weighing in that there is not broad consensus on adding such
an operator and we no longer seem to be heading in that direction.

Even though I am in favor of it, I would like to suggest we withdraw this
proposal.

    user & |> $. #  Edward Kmett 1 -1 -1 -1  Bryan O'Sullivan 1 1 -1  Yitzchak
Gale 1   Dan Burton 1   Johan Tibell -1 -1 -1 -1  Andreas Gal 1   Stephen
Tetley  1  Michael Sloan 1   John Weigley 1   Oren Ben-Kiki 1   Brandon
Allbery 1   Thomas Schiling 0.2 0.1   Gabor Lehel  1  Bas van Dijk 1   Anthony
Cowley 1   Twan Van Laarhoven 1  1  Milan Straka 1   Cale Gibbard -1 -1 -1
-1  David Menendez -1 -1 -1 -1  John Lato -1 -1 -1 -1  Joachim
Breitner -1 1   Dag
Odenhall 1 -1   Heinrich Apfelmus -1 -1 -1 -1  Jon Fairbairn -1 -1 -1
-1  Ganesh
Sittampalam -1 1 1  Total 4.2 -2.9 -7 -4

(My apologies if I mischaracterized or misreported any of your stated
opinions, I was just building a list for my own purposes.)

-Edward