Cabal and GHC

Vo Minh Thu noteed at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 11:58:09 CET 2012

2012/11/22 Simon Peyton-Jones <simonpj at microsoft.com>:
> Having GHC support multiple copies of the same package/version would
> certainly be a step in the right direction. It still wouldn't completely
> address the goals I'm getting at in my blog post. What I'm really aiming for
> overall is to provide users with a stable, vetted set of packages that are
> known to work well together. But for those of us who will still be using
> plain Hackage, this improvement would be very helpful.
>

> Indeed.  I’ve always thought of the Haskell Platform as doing the “stable
> set” part, though there must be plenty of space between HP at one end and
> Hackage at the other, and that’s what you are exploring I think.
>

> Regardless, being able to install multiple instantiations of the same
> package/version is desirable for the “stable set” story, so that more than
> one stable set is possible; and so that trying to use a package outside the
> stable set doesn’t mess up your stable-set installation.
>

> The question is: who will do the work?

Duncan said on reddit you mentionned to him Kickstarter as a possible venue
(http://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/12e3a0/the_good_the_bad_and_the_ugly_haskell_in/c6uar2d).
He mentioned a minimum of around $50k.

I think it would be interesting to gauge interest on the haskell
mailing list or on reddit to see if such an amount would be possible.

Cheers,
Thu