Proposal: Add (&) to Data.Function

Yitzchak Gale gale at sefer.org
Wed Nov 21 14:00:50 CET 2012

Johan Tibell wrote:

> I think the biggest user will be Haskell code in general,

because you can now use |> instead of ".", so we

should be optimizing for that, not for any particular

library.

I agree with that sentiment.

The main reason I proposed what the lens people
are using is because the lens world is such a
good testing bed for this.

Lens covers quite a large swath of interesting
types, paradigms, and use cases. And of course
a large number of combinators and operators.
There seems to be a good size group of people
hacking on all that and using it in practice.

For something as basic as this, all the little
details matter. All of those details have gotten
some real-world testing, and comparison with
their alternatives. Making it flip ($) instead of
flip (.). The precedence. The fixity. And also
the color of the bikeshed. It turns out that the
difference between a one-character name
and two-character name really is significant
in practice, more than you might realize,
even without factoring in the grand
operator-naming scheme in lens.

Thanks,
Yitz