Refactoring Semigroup/Monoid

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Wed Nov 21 13:13:23 CET 2012

| well, judging from SPJ's last comment I found on that topic, the
| proposal seems to have been stuck, and it seems we have to make our
| desire for that feature more apparent:

Correct.  There are several factors here.

First, in the last several months I have been overwhelmed with non-GHC stuff so anything non-critical has gone on the back burner. Sorry about that.

Second, and more important, this default-superclass stuff is a pretty complex feature, with a number of non-obvious design choices. Some are articulated on the wiki page
	http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/DefaultSuperclassInstances
but I'm not certain that all are.

Before moving forward with something as big as this, I think we would all want reassurance that

(a) the need is widely felt, and fixing it important
    enough to pay for the language complexity that comes with it.
(b) the design is well motivated, and well worked out, including awkward corners;
(c) there is a consensus about the particular design choices;

All that said, I am still concerned that the design as described on the wiki page is just rather complicated.  Will nothing simpler do?  Perhaps not, but I think that its complexity has been a background inhibiting factor.

Simon

| |