RFC: Can DefaultSignature compile-time conditional APIs be regarded "benign"?

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Mon Nov 12 10:58:58 CET 2012

On Mon, 12 Nov 2012, Bas van Dijk wrote:

> I like those ideas.
>
> However this still leaves #7395 unresolved.
>
> I do like hvr's idea of using the deriving mechanism to derive classes
> with DefaultSignatures.

The more I think about it the more my impression becomes that we are
trying to solve a problem the complicated way where a simple solution
already exists. I see the motivation behind DefaultSignatures and
encountered the situation often enough that lead to the introduction of
DefaultSignatures. However I always solved the problem by providing
functions like genericSize or genericRnf (though I have not used Generics
for default implementations). Its simple and its portable. Now with
DefaultSignatures we can simplify some bits, but in order to stay portable
with DefaultSignatures things get more complicated than staying portable
without DefaultSignatures at all.