new major release of transformers package

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Thu Mar 8 21:36:27 CET 2012

On Thu, 8 Mar 2012, Henning Thielemann wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Mar 2012, Edward Kmett wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 6:09 AM, Henning Thielemann
>> <lemming at henning-thielemann.de> wrote:
>>

>> I'd prefer to call them stateT, readerT, writerT in order to keep 'state',
>> 'reader', 'writer'
>> with the restricted types. The restricted type should work without type
>> annotations in cases
>> where I really only want type 'State'. Actually stateT, readerT, writerT
>> are only alternative
>> constructors for StateT, ReaderT, WriterT with a restriction on 'm'.
>>

>> There was a discussion period on this about 6 months ago. We're just now
>> finally getting it all
>> integrated. I'd rather not add new names for the same operations.
>

> I can't remember that. I just scanned
>  http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/libraries/2011-August/
>  http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/libraries/2011-September/
> and did not find the keyword "transformer".

Do you mean this one:
   http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/libraries/2011-September/016812.html
?

But this is about generalized 'state' function in mtl and the MonadState
class, not about transformers. Nonetheless changing 'state' as discussed
here is certainly analogous to the generalization of 'state' in mtl.