Proposal: Remove Control.Concurrent{QSem, QSemN, , SampleVar, mergeIO, nmergeIO} from base

Ben Millwood haskell at
Tue Jun 12 12:04:54 CEST 2012

On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 8:18 PM, Ganesh Sittampalam <ganesh at> wrote:
> On 09/06/2012 09:38, Herbert Valerio Riedel wrote:
>> Henning Thielemann <lemming at> writes:
>>> Is it possible to import a module from a user package that has the
>>> same name as a 'base' module?
>> iirc, this would require the PackageImports GHC language extension[1]:
>>  [1]:
> OK, so that's a strike against the deprecation cycle, because people
> would need to use this extension in the transition period, or go for
> conditional compilation anyway.
> I withdraw my objection to immediate removal.

Not if we just change the module names (note SafeSemaphore at the
moment has different module names anyway).

As a sidenote, the name SafeSemaphore is kind of silly if there's no
dangerous semaphore...