Haskell platform proposal: split package

Brent Yorgey byorgey at seas.upenn.edu
Mon Jul 23 18:47:32 CEST 2012

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 09:22:56AM -0700, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 1:35 PM, Brent Yorgey <byorgey at seas.upenn.edu>wrote:
>
> > Everyone is invited to review this proposal, following the standard
> > procedure [2] for proposing and reviewing packages.
> >

> My comments:
>
> I'm generally in favour of this, as the split library is quite nice. A
> couple of more specific notes follow.
>
> Would you have any interest in abstracting this library over other
> particularly common list-like sequences? There's obviously a need for
> similar functionality with e.g. the text and bytestring libraries (maybe
> vector too, though I'm more dubious), and proliferating this API into those
> packages doesn't seem like the best way to go.

I don't really have the time or inclination to do that.  But if
someone else wanted to work on this, I would certainly not be against
it.

> Speaking of the text library, it already provides a function named chunksOf
> that is identical to your splitEvery:
>
> http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/text/0.11.2.2/doc/html/Data-Text.html#v:chunksOf
>
> For consistency with an existing HP library, I think you should rename
> splitEvery to chunksOf.

*grumble grumble*.  The first version of split was released three
whole months before the first version of text, so how come text didn't
use the existing standard name? ;-)

...OK, OK, fine. =)

-Brent