Haskell Platform proposal: Add the vector package

Mark Lentczner mark.lentczner at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 06:03:00 CEST 2012

At the risk of throwing more wood on the fire here - I went back and looked
at Vector and now I see that there are large set of ".Safe" variants that
are no more than re-exports of the exact same functions from the non .Safe
versions of the modules with an extra safe haskell declaration added. What
is the point of this? Shouldn't the declaration just be on the normal
module (safe or trustworthy). Do we really need .Safe versions of all the
modules? If we don't, please, let's take these out of the package before
committing it to the platform (where we have to make a commitment to the
API). If we do need these modules to support Safe Haskell --- then
something is seriously wrong with the either construct, or the way vector
is using it.

I think the state of affairs stinks. It will do nothing but confuse the
heck out of users - and present exactly what the platform is there it
remove: uncertainty and instability.

- Mark