Haskell Platform proposal: Add the vector package

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 17:24:58 CEST 2012

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 11:10 AM, Roman Leshchinskiy <rl at cse.unsw.edu.au>wrote:

> Is "inferred Safe" the same as being marked "Safe-Infered" on Hackage? It
> does say that for Data.Vector.Unboxed, for instance, but that module
> certainly contains unsafe functions.

I think this is a haddock bug:  ghc gets the inference right, haddock
prints the wrong thing.

> FWIW, I went looking through the libraries and GHC does indeed come with a
> Trustworthy unsafePerformIO out of the box (it's in
> Data.Binary.Builder.Internal). Now, I'm not trying to knock the binary

That's a bit worrisome, and comes closer to *my* fears about this feature,
second to people expecting "safe" to mean something more meaningful to them
than "doesn't subvert the type system".

Independent of vector, I'm against making Safe Haskell compliance a
> prerequisite for anything at this point. If it proves itself and if enough
> people start using it and relying on it - sure. But right now, it an
> experimental language extension with a very small user base.

Indeed; especially in light of the above about Data.Binary, it can only be
considered unproven, and a Platform which took it on now would be making
false assurances.