safe vs. unsafe (Was: Haskell Platform proposal: Add the vector package)

Thomas Schilling nominolo at googlemail.com
Sat Jul 14 01:50:54 CEST 2012

On 13 July 2012 23:58, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:

> And now I'm having a "so what's the point?" moment?  All this effort so we
> can just mark random stuff as Trusted anyway?

Well, the use of the term "Trustworthy" seems off.  It really means
"You need to trust this module".  Maybe it would better be called
"TrustNeeded".  Trust is something only you can decide upon (though
possibly based on what other people trust, too).

I'm still not convinced that it's going to be practical enough for
applications such as an online Haskell evaluator.  I think they point
out in the paper that their definition of "safe" /= "secure".