safe vs. unsafe (Was: Haskell Platform proposal: Add the vector package)

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at
Sat Jul 14 00:58:50 CEST 2012

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 6:26 PM, Simon Marlow <marlowsd at> wrote:

> On 13/07/12 21:18, Heinrich Apfelmus wrote:
>> 1. Mark my library as Trustworthy even though I don't have sufficient
>> proof. This severely weakens the guarantees of Safe Haskell.
>> 2. Mark my library as Unsafe. But then people can't use it to write Safe
>> code and will complain.
>> The trouble is that I have a strong incentive to solve the problem
>> arising from 2 by doing 1. Oops.
> The idea is that you do (1).

And now I'm having a "so what's the point?" moment?  All this effort so we
can just mark random stuff as Trusted anyway?

brandon s allbery                                      allbery.b at