generalization of maybeToList

Nils Anders Danielsson nad at
Wed Feb 15 10:36:25 CET 2012

On 2012-02-14 22:02, Brent Yorgey wrote:
> What is the "Fairbairn threshold"?  I tried doing a Google search for
> it, and all I got was a bunch of messages from libraries at
> (all of which only *referenced* it, without defining it).

I believe that the term refers to what Jón Fairbairn wrote in the
following message:

   Names for small functions: just say no... Re: Data.List.join

Ross Paterson seems to have coined the term later the same day in a
message to the same mailing list:

   proposed addition to System.IO

For those following the list at the time it should have been obvious
what the term referred to.