Removing the .Safe modules from vector (was: Haskell Platform proposal: Add the vector package)

wren ng thornton wren at
Thu Aug 30 19:04:43 CEST 2012

On 8/30/12 10:16 AM, Johan Tibell wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 3:09 AM, Roman Leshchinskiy <rl at> wrote:
>> As I said earlier, I will definitely remove the .Safe modules. I'm not
>> particularly keen on adding .Unsafe modules but in the scheme you're
>> proposing, they'll just reexport a few functions and are (hopefully) easy
>> to generate automatically so if there really is demand for it, I'll add
>> them. Although I'd like to point out that with these scheme, vector won't
>> have any SafeHaskell-safe modules so I'm not entirely sure what the point
>> is, given
>> that the entire discussion was because people objected to removing support
>> for SafeHaskell.
> My main interest is having the .Safe modules removed.

I'm +1 to this part. As you say, having .Safe modules is like having
.Pure modules: utter foolishness for Haskell.

I'm all for momentum towards Safe Haskell. But I'd really rather not
revisit our previous discussion on that matter. I'd say we should:

(1) add vector to the Platform, sans .Safe modules
(2) move the less objective/objectionable packages towards Safe Haskell,
in order to instill that as a virtue and to get some empirical data
about how users interact with Safe Haskell
(3) revisit the Safe Haskell + vector issues once Safe Haskell is more
popular and we have some better ideas what the practical arguments are
(as opposed to just the theoretical ones).

Live well,