Removing the .Safe modules from vector (was: Haskell Platform proposal: Add the vector package)

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 16:16:58 CEST 2012

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 3:09 AM, Roman Leshchinskiy <rl at cse.unsw.edu.au> wrote:
> As I said earlier, I will definitely remove the .Safe modules. I'm not
> particularly keen on adding .Unsafe modules but in the scheme you're
> proposing, they'll just reexport a few functions and are (hopefully) easy
> to generate automatically so if there really is demand for it, I'll add
> them. Although I'd like to point out that with these scheme, vector won't
> have any SafeHaskell-safe modules so I'm not entirely sure what the point
> is, given
> that the entire discussion was because people objected to removing support
> for SafeHaskell.

My main interest is having the .Safe modules removed. I wanted to
present a compromise that'd allow people that care about Safe Haskell
to still use vector. I'm hoping that having .Unsafe modules will be
less work than having .Safe modules.

My intention was to move from:

 * M - Unsafe
 * M.Safe - Trustworthy

to:

 * M - Trustworthy
 * M.Unsafe - Unsafe

I just had a look at Data.Vector and the haddock docs claim that it's
Safe-inferred. So I guess I don't understand the current setup even.
Why aren't the M modules Unsafe, given that they use IO in their
implementation?

> A caveat: I will only add the .Unsafe modules if they are generated
> automatically. I *hope* that's easy to do but can't make any promises as
> to how long it will take at this point. If someone else wants to have a go
> at automatic generation, I'll gladly accept patches.

Fair enough. Could you remove the .Safe modules before that?

> Or is this impossible and will I have to do this?
>

> module Foo (unsafeFoo) where
>
> -- | (Deprecated) Very long comment
> unsafeFoo :: Very Long Type
> unsafeFoo = ...
>

> module Foo.Unsafe(unsafeFoo) where
> import qualified Foo
>
> -- | Very long comment
> unsafeFoo :: Very Long Type
> {-# INLINE unsafeFoo #-}
> unsafeFoo = Foo.unsafeFoo

I'm afraid so.

> Last question: do the +1 comments mean "yes, sounds good" or "yes, this is
> something I will use"?

For me it is "removed the .Safe modules please".

-- Johan