HP 2012.4.0.0 -- Call for Proposals

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 13:09:50 CEST 2012

On 21/08/2012 19:05, Johan Tibell wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 10:24 AM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 11:32 AM, Simon Marlow <marlowsd at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm still keen to see the package go in, mainly because when you start
>>> doing concurrent programming you quite quickly run into the need for
>>

>> I think most of us are of the opinion that it would be nice to see it get
>> some independent use and shake the bugs and infelicities out of it first;
>> being in the platform implies (correctly or not) a certain level of
>> interface stability and trust in functionality.
>
> Is the time until the actual release enough? If not we can accept the
> package now but not include it until the next release, at which point
> any obvious bugs should be gone.
>
> Simon, has the package seen any use (e.g. in one of your classes) yet?

The API is actually developed in my tutorial (which will become the
book) from first principles, starting from MVars and then moving to STM,
as a way to motivate and explain the underlying primitives.  Basic
versions of the API are used in several of the examples, although I'm
not using the async package itself yet - the examples came first.

I don't see any reverse deps on async in Hackage yet.  Perhaps I need to
write a blog post about it...

Cheers,
	Simon