Call for consensus: addition of split package to platform

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Tue Aug 21 20:55:40 CEST 2012

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012, Brent Yorgey wrote:

> I would also like people's opinions on the one big question remaining:
> whether to use cabal's mechanisms to conditionally include some code,
> allowing the 'build' function to be taken from GHC.Exts when
> available, or defined manually otherwise.  This would make split fully
> H2010-compatible. The currently released version does NOT include
> this, so it is H2010-compatible but GHC specific.  The options are:
>
>  1) just use a generic version of 'build' (simplest option)
>
>  2) use only GHC's version of build (slightly faster)
>
>  3) do the conditional thing to choose between 1) and 2) at compile
>     time (most general but most complicated/cumbersome)

The best solution would be to have a package that provides the 'build'
function for all compilers. For GHC it exports the fusing 'build' and for
other compilers it exports a generic version. I think this 'build'
function is useful for other packages, too.

This package does not yet exist and if it would exist then it should or
must be part of the platform. For now I would think a simple solution is
ok, thus I vote for solution number 1. Later you can simply switch the
import of 'build'.