Problem Installing ad (Automatic Differentiation) Package

Dominic Steinitz idontgetoutmuch at
Sat Apr 21 17:13:41 CEST 2012

I was trying to install ad (Automatic Differentiation) but got the
following error. I guess the answer is to upgrade my ghc (perhaps
someone could confirm) but I am using the Haskell Platform and would
rather stick with that. I see from
that the next release is due out in May. Will that be early May? in
which case I may well wait a week or will it be late May? in which case
I might bite the bullet and upgrade my ghc.

Thanks, Dominic

Building template-haskell-
[1 of 7] Compiling Language.Haskell.TH.Syntax.Internals (
dist/build/Language/Haskell/TH/Syntax/Internals.o )
[2 of 7] Compiling Language.Haskell.TH.Syntax (
Language/Haskell/TH/Syntax.hs, dist/build/Language/Haskell/TH/Syntax.o )
[3 of 7] Compiling Language.Haskell.TH.PprLib (
Language/Haskell/TH/PprLib.hs, dist/build/Language/Haskell/TH/PprLib.o )

     Illegal instance declaration for `Show Doc'
       (All instance types must be of the form (T t1 ... tn)
        where T is not a synonym.
        Use -XTypeSynonymInstances if you want to disable this.)
     In the instance declaration for `Show Doc'
Updating documentation index /Users/Test/Library/Haskell/doc/index.html
ad- depends on template-haskell- which failed to install.
template-haskell- failed during the building phase. The exception
ExitFailure 1

The Glorious Glasgow Haskell Compilation System, version 7.0.3