Proposal: Ignore sub-minor version components in package id

Joachim Breitner mail at
Mon Oct 3 13:30:14 CEST 2011

Am Montag, den 03.10.2011, 13:27 +0200 schrieb Herbert Valerio Riedel:
> On Mon, 2011-10-03 at 13:18 +0200, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> > I’d like to propose that the package (shown by "ghc-pkg field <pkg> id"
> > and used by "ghc-pkg field <pkg> depends") should only consist of the
> > first three components of the package version, not all of them.
> ...would this affect the ability to declare version constraints that use
> more than the first 3 components? E.g. would the following Cabal
> statement
>  Build-depends:  aeson >= && <0.4
> still work (and force at least version of aeson to be used)?

yes, all other version-related machinery (dependencies in Cabal
packages, hackage stuff etc) still work.

I am only talking about the packages as registered with ghc-pkg, not the
packages as specified by .cabal. In distribution-lingo, the former are
binary packages and the latter are source packages.

Joachim "nomeata" Breitner
  mail at  |  nomeata at  |  GPG: 0x4743206C
  xmpp: nomeata at |