cabal install cabal-install with the latest HP on Mac OS X

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at
Tue Mar 15 12:44:20 CET 2011

On 15 March 2011 08:24, Yitzchak Gale <gale at> wrote:
> I installed the 64-bit version of the recent
> Haskell Platform release on Mac OS X 10.6.6.
> $ cabal --version
> cabal-install version 0.10.2
> using version of the Cabal library
> As always in the past, and as cabal install itself
> has often suggested, the first thing I did was to
> run 'cabal install cabal-install' to make sure I
> have the latest version.
> To my surprise, cabal install began installing
> an *older* version of itself, together with older
> versions of dependent libraries to support that.

This is because the "default" version of cabal-install on hackage
remains at 0.8.x. As soon as I bump this to 0.10.x then all existing
users will get prompted to upgrade. I'd like a bit of confidence that
this will not break everyone's existing setup, so I've not done it

> Downloading time-1.1.4...
> <command line>: cannot satisfy -package Cabal-
>    Cabal- is unusable due to
> missing or recursive dependencies:
>      process-

This is part of the problem that cabal does not understand that there
can be two instances of the same version of a package registered at
once. We will shortly be working on a new solver that does understand