multiple cabal files in one directory?

Kathleen Fisher kathleen.fisher at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 18:54:05 CET 2011

On Jan 12, 2011, at 3:59 AM, Henning Thielemann wrote:

> My question is: What is really the benefit of having multiple packages in one directory? kahl at cas.mcmaster.ca has commented on this question, but his use case didn't convince me. Building many packages at once, an inter-package Make so to speak, would be nice, but this could be separate from the technique of building one package.

I can explain why the question occurred to me, but I'm a newbie to Haskell library construction, so I could have just set things up badly.

I have two libraries that both implement embedded domain specific languages in haskell, pads and forest, with forest depending on pads.  Because they are both languages, I put the Pads modules in Language.Pads.XXX and the Forest modules in Language.Forest.XXX.  I have a single development space with a directory Language with subdirectories Pads and Forest.  Now I want to to be able to install these libraries with cabal.  The place where it seems like I am supposed to put the cabal file is the directory containing the Language directory, but that means I need one cabal file for Pads and another for Forest.  Rearranging my directory structure to separate the two packages is a pain because the files are under version control in CVS.

I'm guessing I'm missing the right model for how to arrange Haskell source code bases.  Suggestions for how I should do things differently?

Kathleen