multiple cabal files in one directory?

Mario Blažević mblazevic at stilo.com
Wed Jan 12 15:47:57 CET 2011

On 11-01-12 06:59 AM, Henning Thielemann wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Jan 2011, Peter Simons wrote:
>
> My question is: What is really the benefit of having multiple packages
> in one directory? kahl at cas.mcmaster.ca has commented on this question,
> but his use case didn't convince me. Building many packages at once, an
> inter-package Make so to speak, would be nice, but this could be
> separate from the technique of building one package.

	I maintain multiple packages in a single directory and a single Darcs
repository because I treat it all as a single project. It also allows me
to move module files from one package to another without losing the file
history. Splitting and merging packages, for example, affects only the
package description files.

	I guess one could achieve a similar effect by keeping the packages in
subdirectories of a common project directory, which would act as a Darcs
repository. But that kind of directory hierarchy would sprawl more.