Using cabal to 'install' a shared library for wxhaskell

Dave Tapley dukedave at
Sat Dec 24 02:32:01 CET 2011

Hi all,

I've been working on a new development version of wxhaskell[1] and one of
my goals was to integrate previous work on using a shared library[2].
I'm please to report that I have more-or-less achieved this goal at least
under Linux, but there is still some cleaning up to do.

After performing a cabal I end up with a .so file as expected, the only
problem currently is that now whenever you compile something which uses
wxhaskell you have to pass in an rpath to the .so in the cabal-dev / local
/ system packages location.

Obviously this .so somehow needs to end up where the system can find it,
and I wondered if someone has already (or has ideas about how to) make this
happen in cabal?

You can see where I believe it should fit in in the ldconfig function in