Proposal: Improve the API for TChan, TMVar, and TVar

wren ng thornton wren at freegeek.org
Sat Apr 9 02:36:28 CEST 2011

On 3/26/11 5:29 AM, wren ng thornton wrote:
> I've found the following functions helpful for working with STM. Some of
> them are just filling out the API so that TVars, TMVars, and IORefs
> match better. And all the non-TVar functions can be optimized
> considerably by including them in the STM library rather than defining
> them externally. The implementations are obvious, so I'll just include
> the types here; see the patch if you're interested.
>
> [...]
>
> Discussion period: 2 weeks.

The discussion period is up, and it sounds like the patch is in. I've
filed a ticket, with the following summary.

Supported by Edward Z. Yang, Bas van Dijk(*), Antoine Latter. No dissent.

Bas van Dijk's support is generally contingent on further improving the
overall API by adding similar functions for the non-STM concurrency
types. However, doing so requires a deprecation cycle in order to bring
modifyMVar in sync with modifyTVar, modifyIORef, and the rest of the
Haskell ecosystem. And therefore should be pursued in a separate
proposal. He offered a patch,
http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/libraries/2011-March/016096.html, which
still requires verification of correctness. These changes to the base
package are not included in the current proposal.

--
Live well,
~wren