ANNOUNCE: iteratee-parsec 0.0.4

Maciej Piechotka uzytkownik2 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 16:09:33 EDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-09-06 at 10:40 +0200, Martijn van Steenbergen wrote:
> On 8/28/10 1:48, Maciej Piechotka wrote:
> > Iteratee-parsec is a library which allows to have a parsec (3) parser in
> > Iteratee monad.
> >
> > It contains 2 implementations:
> > - John Lato's on public domain. It is based on monoid and design with
> > short parsers in mind.
> > - Mine on MIT. It is based on single-linked mutable list. It seems to be
> > significantly faster for larger parsers - at least in some cases - but
> > it requires a monad with references (such as for example IO or ST).
>
> Your Reference class is very useful on its own. Do you think you could
> move it to a separate package?

It's noted in comment ;) As requested I'll upload it today.

> And perhaps rename it class
> MonadReference (or MonadRef), similar to other monad type classes.

Hmm. The problem is that it is more about reference then monad. If I
would use any functional dependencies it would be:

class Reference r m | r -> m where

if any type families then:

class Monad (ReferenceMonad r) => Reference r where
    type ReferenceMonad r :: * -> *

The reverse does not apply as:

instance Reference IORef IO
instance Reference MVar IO

I don't thing MonadReference/MonadRef is good name (I'll push reference
package with old name - possibly renaming it later).

> Martijn.

Regards