Haskell Platform Proposal: HLint

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 07:56:26 EST 2010

On 12/11/2010 12:12, Duncan Coutts wrote:

> Secondly, yes I agree that people tend not to care too deeply about
> this. To play devil's advocate, if people don't really care then
> instead of saying that means we must have an exception, perhaps that
> means that we're ok to comply with the letter of the law but not the
> spirit. It is a big hassle to work out wording for an exception and
> get all license holders of each project to agree (I did it once with
> Gtk2Hs and LGPL-2.0->2.1). If people do not actually care, why bother?

Because while the authors might not care, potential users of the library
might well care a lot.  Some of us have to get licenses past corporate
lawyers, and they generally don't even agree about what the LGPL means.
  The more of the LGPL we can exclude, the easier this process might be.

Avoiding all this nonsense entirely is for some people by far the
easiest option, though of course I recognise the right of authors to
choose whatever licensing terms they want for their work.  I mainly want
to ensure that there is a meaningful option for users who want or need
to avoid the GPL/LGPL for whatever reasons.

Cheers,
	Simon