Haskell Platform Proposal: HLint

Malcolm Wallace malcolm.wallace at me.com
Fri Nov 12 07:46:47 EST 2010

> On 12 November 2010 11:14, Simon Marlow <marlowsd at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I get the impression that people who use the LGPL for Haskell don't
>> care
>> deeply about this - they're using the LGPL because they want
>> modifications
>> contributed back.  Are there Haskell authors out there using the
>> LGPL who really do care about modify/relink?

As someone who uses the LGPL, I can confirm that, for myself,
requiring distributors to contribute back their modifications (which
one *hopes* are improvements...) is the main reason for the licence
choice.  The ability for any end-user to modify and relink would be a
"nice-to-have" in addition, but it is not crucial to me.

However, I would be reluctant to give a blanket exception merely on
the basis that a particular compiler has technical difficulties
complying with the spirit of this requirement.  There are other
compilers for which this is not problematic, and like I say, the
property is a "nice-to-have" - if it were possible to achieve it, I
would prefer that.

Having said that, I do indeed give the "static-linking" exception for
many of my packages.  Also, if some entity wishes to distribute my
code as part of their own product, but be released from the L/GPL
requirements, I am happy to offer a commercial licence.  (Which in
many cases will not cost any money - although I'm open to offers :-)

Regards,
     Malcolm