Haskell Platform call for consensus: add transformers and revise the mtl package to depend on it

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 03:39:52 EDT 2010

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 5:50 AM, Isaac Dupree
<ml at isaac.cedarswampstudios.org> wrote:
> mtl-2.0 was just recently uploaded.  If it's easy, I would cautiously wish
> to wait a month before committing-for-sure to mtl-2 in the platform, and see
> if there are unexpected transition difficulties.  Any issues that users
> notice will surely get mentioned on the mailing-lists.  Though, the proposal
> page (and past experience with transformers/monads-fd) does seem to have
> investigated the difficulties pretty well; and if the difficulties are not
> much more than estimated, then they seem worth the costs to me.

We have about a month and a half to figure it out. During that time
we'll try to migrate all HP packages to mtl-2 (and perhaps some other
important packages.) If that doesn't cause problems, we can go ahead
with mtl-2 in the next. Release, if it does cause problems, well then
mtl-2 will not make it. Put another way, all accepted proposals are
conditionally excepted on actually being possible to implement. :)

> (Is there time pressure? Given
> http://trac.haskell.org/haskell-platform/wiki/ReleaseTimetable I am not
> sure.  Incidentally it suggests that we technically missed the proposal
> deadline by one day depending on timezones - Nov 1 vs Nov 2 - which I'm not
> inclined to worry about.  The page history says Don Stewart wrote that
> timeline mid-July.)

That's my (and the rest of the steering committee's) fault for not
calling for consensus sooner when the discussion died out. My
apologies.

Johan