Haskell Platform call for consensus: add transformers and revise the mtl package to depend on it

Isaac Dupree ml at isaac.cedarswampstudios.org
Wed Nov 3 00:50:02 EDT 2010

mtl-2.0 was just recently uploaded.  If it's easy, I would cautiously
wish to wait a month before committing-for-sure to mtl-2 in the
platform, and see if there are unexpected transition difficulties.  Any
issues that users notice will surely get mentioned on the mailing-lists.
  Though, the proposal page (and past experience with
transformers/monads-fd) does seem to have investigated the difficulties
pretty well; and if the difficulties are not much more than estimated,
then they seem worth the costs to me.

I'm not worried enough about the risk that I'd delay mtl-2's
HP-inclusion timeline if there's any time pressure.

(Is there time pressure? Given
http://trac.haskell.org/haskell-platform/wiki/ReleaseTimetable I am not
sure.  Incidentally it suggests that we technically missed the proposal
deadline by one day depending on timezones - Nov 1 vs Nov 2 - which I'm
not inclined to worry about.  The page history says Don Stewart wrote
that timeline mid-July.)

-Isaac