Bumping package version numbers in the HP (Was: Haskell Platform Proposal: add transformers and revise the mtl package to depend on it)

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 10:00:23 EDT 2010

Hi all,

On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 2:47 PM, Ross Paterson <ross at soi.city.ac.uk> wrote:
> The ones that depend on mtl are:
>
>  cgi-3001.1.7.3 (latest version 3001.1.8.1)
>  fgl-5.4.2.3
>  QuickCheck-2.1.1.1 (latest version 2.3.0.2)
>  regex-base-0.93.2
>  regex-compat-0.93.1
>  regex-posix-0.94.2
>  HTTP-4000.0.9 (latest version 4000.0.10)

How do we decide whether to include new versions of packages in the
next HP release. For bugfix releases it should be a no-brainer, just
include them. What about API additions? Didn't we chose to not use a
new version of some package because it added a bunch of modules in the
Data.* namespace?

As you see above two packages have increased the minor version number
(cgi and HTTP) and one has increased the major version number
(QuickCheck).

In addition to the above three packages, the network package recently
grew two new modules (adopted from network-bytestring).

Johan