Cabal sqlite3 installation problems

Hok Shun Poon fushunpoon at
Sun May 23 19:51:20 EDT 2010

This is a question about how cabal-install finds 'installed foreign
libraries' when trying to satisfy dependencies for packages like
hdbc-sqlite3 on Windows.
Sadly, the current setup means that I must use Windows 7 to develop code.

I've already followed steps on to place the
.dll and the .h files in the correct places; it's just that cabal never
seems to find it, despite being given --extra-lib-dirs= and
--extra-include-dirs= directives.

The message is as follows:

> cabal install hdbc-sqlite3 --extra-lib-dirs=D:\dev\libs\database\sqlite
Resolving dependencies...
Configuring HDBC-sqlite3-
cabal: Missing dependency on a foreign library:
* Missing C library: sqlite3
This problem can usually be solved by installing the system package
that provides this library (you may need the "-dev" version). If the library
is already installed but in a non-standard location then you can use
the flags --extra-include-dirs= and --extra-lib-dirs= to specify where it
HDBC-sqlite3- failed during the configure step. The exception was:
ExitFailure 1

The strangest thing is, I've successfully made cabal build this package
before (with a different version of Haskell Platform)... what's going on?

I'm using cabal-install version 0.8.2 and Cabal library version