Please don't deprecate Haskell 98 modules.

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Wed Mar 10 19:56:28 EST 2010

Please don't deprecate these modules.

It is actively contributing to bitrot to deprecate a perfectly useful
and well defined API. When I write new code that only needs C, I don't
use C++ just because C is older. Likewise, when writing Haskell code
today that doesn't require anything more than haskell 98, I use haskell
98. Because it is a well defined standard that I know will be supported
by future and past compilers. Unlike writing to some current snapshot of
what the libraries look like.

Encouraging people to use bleeding edge APIs just contributes to the
already dicey problem of writing future and backwards compatible code in
Haskell, in fact, writing to haskell 98 is the _only_ option at the
moment with any ability to do so.

Haskell 98 should never be deprecated, because it is a stable, well defined
standard that useful programs can be written to if someone chooses to do
so and wants their code to have a chance of working down the road
without having to continually keep changing it to keep up with libraries
changes.

        John