Deprecating haskell98 module aliases

wren ng thornton wren at
Mon Mar 8 15:51:31 EST 2010

Gwern Branwen wrote:
> wren ng thornton wrote:
>> I'm all for the warnings. And regarding guest's comments, doesn't the
>> Haskell 2010 standard[1] count as an "actual language standard"? If not,
>> then what is it and why isn't it one?
>> [1]
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought 'HierarchicalModules' was an
> extension which codifies the 'Foo.Bar' import syntax (as opposed to
> 'import FooBar'), and didn't address allocation of functions to
> modules  or naming issues like 'Char' vs 'Data.Char' or splitting
> 'Foreign' up or whatever.

AFAIK, yes, the HierarchicalModules approval is just allowing dots in
module names, rather than discussing what goes where. I was bringing
haskell2010 up more to point out that the haskell98 standard is,
officially, not up to date.

Perhaps we should poke the haskell-prime committee to move the official
location of standard functions for the haskell2011 standard?

Live well,