Deprecating haskell98 module aliases

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 15:31:44 EST 2010

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 3:36 PM, wren ng thornton
<wren at community.haskell.org> wrote:
> Gwern Branwen wrote:
>>
>> See http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/ticket/640
>>
>> It seems to me that a warning on using the 'haskell98' package
>> wouldn't be a bad thing; those modules have since been split apart in
>> better modules, the names are ever more unfamiliar, etc.
>>
>> But Duncan thinks it merits discussion.
>
> I'm all for the warnings. And regarding guest's comments, doesn't the
> Haskell 2010 standard[1] count as an "actual language standard"? If not,
> then what is it and why isn't it one?
>

> [1] http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell/2009-November/021750.html

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought 'HierarchicalModules' was an
extension which codifies the 'Foo.Bar' import syntax (as opposed to
'import FooBar'), and didn't address allocation of functions to
modules  or naming issues like 'Char' vs 'Data.Char' or splitting
'Foreign' up or whatever.

--
gwern