Most popular libraries not in the HP

Heinrich Apfelmus apfelmus at
Mon Jul 19 04:03:00 EDT 2010

Axel Simon wrote:
> Heinrich Apfelmus wrote:
>> I'm on MacOS and it's similar for me. GTK just keeps crashing randomly
>> or behaving weirdly, reducing the utility of cool tools like  hp2any .
> The same question: do you mean Gtk2Hs or Gtk+? If it's the former, then
> we should fix the bugs. We are about to release Gtk 0.11.1 which has
> hopefully now all the concurrency bugs ironed out. Having cabalized
> Gtk2Hs, I hope users find the libraries more inviting to send in patches
> since it's now fairly simple to understand how to build the beast.

I mean Gtk+, though I can't really know, of course. But I have much more
trust in the Haskell side. :)

>> Even if it's not a native GUI on MacOS, I'd at least accept gtk2hs if
>> it were bundling a precompiled version of the GTK libraries that just
>> works (tm).
> I hope that the Aqua port of Gtk+ will mature eventually and that Gtk+
> reaches a similar look-and-feel as Qt on the major three platforms. It
> will never be perfect, but if there's some sort of abstraction for the
> menu bar and some good themes, then it might be acceptable to most
> people.

For me, it's mostly a question of stability and "zippiness". I accept
Gimp but I don't like Inkscape, for example.

> Having Gtk2Hs in the platform would then be very convenient as
> it would relieve the user from the burden of installing all those
> different binary libraries. I am not willing to invest the time to
> provide a Mac and Windows installer just for Gtk2Hs since then I always
> have to track the ghc and platform releases and opens a lot of different
> platform problems that cabal currently abstracts for me.

Ah, using cabal for Gtk2Hs is fine, the Haskell side usually works very
well. What I had in mind is that it ships a compiled version of the
corresponding Gtk+ libraries, because the real pain on MacOS is to
install those. There was a precompiled Gtk+ framework if I remember
correctly, but that one seems to be unsupported nowadays; or one can
install from source but that takes hours and then you'll run into at
least one compilation error and throw up your arms in desperation.

Heinrich Apfelmus