Proposal: Change to library proposal process

Ross Paterson ross at soi.city.ac.uk
Mon Dec 27 18:59:20 CET 2010

On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 01:36:43PM +0000, Ian Lynagh wrote:
> The current proposal process requires that both a ticket is created and
> a mailing list post sent at the start of the proposal. The ticket
> creation means:
> * Redundant work is done: The same information is repeated in two places
> * Some replies end up on the list, while others end up as a ticket
>   comment
> * Tickets for rejected or abandoned proposals tend to hang around,
>   cluttering up the bug tracker

These are all good points.  One thing the ticket system does do is
provide a place to put the diff, and I think that's useful: it makes
it easy for others to try out the change, and provides a concrete
basis for the discussion.  Indeed it would be useful for the proposer
to update this diff if the proposal changes.