Library proposals

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Sun Dec 12 13:15:48 CET 2010

On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 10:44:27PM +0000, Malcolm Wallace wrote:
>> If that's the consensus then we need volunteers to maintain:
>>
>> haskell2010
>> haskell98
>
> These packages should now be fixed and immutable, save for errata.

They may also need to be changed when making changes to base etc, as
they may need old definitions to be copied rather than re-exporting the
new definition.

>> array
>> directory
>> old-locale
>> old-time
>> random
>
> Weren't these five basically the Haskell'98 standard libraries but with
> new hierarchical names?

There's also a little new functionality in some cases.

> If so, then perhaps the two "old-" ones can
> simply be dropped, and the other three either folded back into the
> haskell2010 package (or an appropriate successor)?  Unless a willing
> volunteer appears of course.

Folding them into haskellnnnn would mean people would need to depend on
a particular nnnn.

>> base
>
> Isn't base already largely maintained de facto by the GHC team?

base is an uncomfortable mix of GHC-internal code, largely in GHC.*, and
portable shared code like Data.List. (except it's not quite that simple,
e.g. there's NHC.* too)

Thanks
Ian