Library proposals

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Thu Dec 9 18:42:16 CET 2010

Johan wrote:
> Working with the libraries process is annoying enough as it is

It sounds like neither of you like the current process. Have you got any
better suggestions? (Suggestions which don't put more of the burden on
me, please!)

This sort of disagreement is exactly what the process was designed to
avoid: People shouldn't be surprised by changes, as they have been
discussed and agreed on the mailing list. Unfortunately it was a bit
murky in this case, as this change was buried in a proposal for
something different:
    http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/libraries/2010-September/014161.html

I think in future we should take a harder line on reverting
accidentally-committed changes, and rejecting changes not clearly part
of a proposal, to keep things running smoother.

Christian wrote:
> ghc-6.10.4 is my production compiler for power-pc and sparc, due to
> problems with ghc-6.12.3 and ghc-7

Note that you are heading towards a bootstrapping problem: 6.10.4 won't
be supported for compiling 7.2.

Thanks
Ian